One of the most well known and used essential oil is derived by subjecting the buds and flowers of the lavender plant to steam distillation. The oil has been in use since ancient times due to not only its powerful yet soothing smell but also a wide range of properties such as antioxidant, antidepressant, sedative, etc. Lavender oil was used to mummify the dead by the ancient Egyptians and as a perfume while in the Roman civilization the oil was popularly used for bathing and air purification. Owing to the diverse properties of the oil and its mild effects on the skin, it has become the most widely used in the world today.
Benefits Of Using Lavender Oil
- Powerful antioxidant: Free radicals are the most common cause of health problems in the world today and have caused a reduction in the functioning of the body’s natural defense system or the immune system. Lavender oil is a natural yet powerful antioxidant that prevents the damage that is caused by free radicals and thus protects the body from a number of diseases.
- Helps control diabetes: People struggling with diabetes find it difficult to maintain their blood sugar levels and tend to gain weight easily. People suffering from the condition can maintain their blood glucose levels and other diabetes related problems by making use of lavender oil.
- Uplifts mood: The mood uplifting benefits of lavender oil are what make it the most popular in the market. The oil is capable of soothing the nerves and stimulates the firing of feel good neurons within the brain that reduces depression and anxiety and helps in sleeping better.
- Speeds up healing: The oil has been popular as a natural antimicrobial and has been used to cleanse wounds and prevent infections. The compounds within the oil help the body to swiftly recover from burns, cuts and bruises. Using the oil in combination with clove oil and cinnamon oil increases its ability and makes it even more effective.
- Keeps skin and hair healthy: Using a few drops of lavender oil on acne and other skin related diseases such as canker sores and inflammation can help the skin heal and recover at a faster rate. Massaging the oil into the scalp on a regular basis can help reduce hair thinning that is caused due to Alopecia.
Being mild oil that can be safely applied on the skin without triggering any allergic reactions, the oil can be used directly on the skin in small amounts. It is always better to have a medical professional assess your allergenic report prior to using any essential oil.