Patchouli Oil is extracted from the patchouli plant by means of steam distillation and has major constituents Alpha Bulnesene, Alpha and Beta Patchoulene, Norpatchoulenol, Patchouli Alcohol and Pogostol among others. The oil is a diuretic, aphrodisiac, antidepressant, cicatrisant and fungicide. The oil is commonly used as an insect repellant and a means of protecting clothes from being destroyed from insects. The multitude of uses of the oil have resulted in it becoming one of the most popular in the market.
Uses of Patchouli Oil
- Relieves depression: The oil is known to have a positive effect upon the mental state of people suffering from depression and anxiety disorders. Patchouli Oil is known to uplift mood and reduce both mental and physical stress owing to which it has become a vital ingredient of oils used for aromatherapy.
- Reduces Inflammation: Patchouli oil is known to have an anti pyretic effect and reduces any inflammation that is caused due to fever. The oil is thus perfect a perfect natural remedy for treating a wide range of skin related problems and allergic reactions.
- Improves blood circulation: The oil is known to cause an increase in the production of red blood cells that leads to an substantial increase in energy levels. Improved circulation results in a higher rate of metabolism which is essential for weight loss and promoted good health.
- Sedative: Patchouli oil is used to sedate hypersensitive and hyper-reactive nerves that are present in people suffering from epilepsy and convulsions. The oil thus provides a means of relieving the body off stress and helps it relax by mitigating the effects of insomnia and calming the nerves.
- Repels Insects: The ability of this oil at warding away insects is truly amazing, it can be used as a fumigant or incense stick and can be used on clothes to repel insects and protect them from damage. The oil can also be used in the form of a cream or lotion that can be applied on the body to keep mosquitoes at a safe distance.
The Patchouli Tonic
One of the main advantages of using this essential oil is its ability to boost overall health by increasing the bodyâs metabolic rate. Higher rates of metabolism mean that food is broken down faster and absorbed easily which in turn results in better overall health. The oil also regulates the release of hormones and enzymes in the body and protects the body from a myriad of diseases by boosting the immune system.